1 Year

August 10th marked one year since our Nica 68 group got off the plane in Nicaragua and became Peace Corps trainees. We had three months of training, which went pretty slowly, and then 9 lightning-fast months in our permanent sites.

A lot has happened in the last year, and I’m so happy to be here.

A brief list of things that have changed since August 10th last year:

• I always write the number 7 with a line through it, lest it be mistaken for a 1.
  • I exclaim “¡Que calor!” about a dozen times a day.
  • I walk in the shade whenever possible often crossing the street for just a few seconds of slightly-cooler temperatures.

Most importantly though, I’ve formed friendships that have sustained me in good times and bad times. My Niquinohomo squad, who pushed through training with me every day and came out the other side

All the other volunteers, especially in TEFL 68, who have made this experience so incredible.

(I’m sure I have some pictures of you all but I can’t bring myself to look for them. Please forgive me but I’ve had a 101 degree fever in a tropical country and it’s been an interesting week.)

Of course, I can’t end without giving a special shout out to Thomas, whose unwavering friendship has given me immeasurable strength. He’s the biggest blessing of the last year, hands down.

I’m so excited to see what the next year will bring.

8 thoughts on “1 Year

1. Alfred Sublett August 13, 2017 / 9:15 am

Jade I enjoy reading about your experiences you are having there and I am also glad you are enjoying the people you work with, after being with a group of people for a while it seems they become part of your family. Hope everything continues to go well for you while you are there and I sure enjoy reading all of your Rambling you write about, I should comment more often but just don’t seem to get around too it. Glad you are still enjoying the experience of the Peace Corps, Kay and I talk about you a lot and hoping things are going well with you, will chat later, we love you Jade

• Jade August 13, 2017 / 9:53 am

Love you too! I know y’all enjoy reading, and I should try to write more and post more photos. I miss you both and hope I can see and talk to you soon. Hope everything is going well.

2. Jackie August 13, 2017 / 6:30 pm

OHHHH I love this so much. We’re coming up on our first anniversary of moving to New York. So much can happen in a year!! So proud of you!!!

• Jade August 13, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Love you! So ready to see you again (hopefully in your city!) We can make it happen ❤️

3. Anna August 14, 2017 / 11:55 am

It blows my mind that it’s been a year already. I love you so much. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ❤

• Jade August 14, 2017 / 12:02 pm

So crazy. I can’t believe how fast it’s flown by. I hope I see you sooooon. Love you ❤️

4. Ken Conner August 14, 2017 / 7:08 pm

Jade, so happy for you, impressed beyond measure, and thankful for your and your co-workers difference you are making in others lives. Keep practicing “random acts of kindness”. Grandma send our love. P.s. Sending this from Ogallala, NE. Tomorrow we will reach Chadron where Hannah begins her next chapter.

• Jade August 14, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Thank you for these kind words, Grandpa. I’m sending love to all of you from Nicaragua! Best of luck to Hannah as she embarks on a new adventure ❤️