Don’t want to be a richer man
(Turn and face the strange)
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can’t trace time
– David Bowie, “Changes
A lot is going to change over the next two years, and I assume that most of that change will be so gradual that I won’t really notice it until a lot of time has passed. That said, here are a few things that have changed since I moved up north four days ago:
- My new family calls me Jayce/Jaynes/James/Jay (my old family pronounced my name the Spanish way, kind of like Hah-day). I’ll pretty much answer to anything.
- I drink coffee every day. I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker before, but now I live in coffee country. Can’t say I hate it.
- I say maracuya instead of calala when referring to my favorite refresco. The words are synonomous but I sound like even more of a foreigner here if I say calala so I avoid it.
- I sleep in. Sometimes I don’t get up until *gasp* 8 a.m.
- I actually like the cheese here. You may recall that I just ~tolerated~ queso seco, but I actually eat the cuajada with some level of enthusiasm.