Cena Romántica, 21 Septiembre 2016

Last night, Adrian and I walked home a little after 6, and the streetlights went out. We thought maybe we’d lost power in the town, but when I got home and went to my room, prendí la luz sin problemas. And then the lights went out. And then it started storming. For the whole night. My family sat in almost complete darkness for a few hours, and I ate my dinner by candlelight. When my host mamá brought my plate to the table, she chuckled and said, “¡Qué romántica!” I won’t lie, it was one of my better dates, because I am hilarious and excellent company.

Did I mention I was eating by myself? Oh, well I was, and it was wonderful. I had a torta de papa (sin queso, because my mom has realized that the cheese is the one thing that I’m not particularly crazy about and she was thoughtful enough to make mine different, even though I would’ve eaten it regardless.) I also ate some BOMB gallo pinto and platanos maduros. I know I’ve only been living here six weeks, but I’m honestly not sure if I can survive a day (or even a meal) without some kind of platanos.

For the rest of the night, I talked to my host sister and sang “All Along the Watchtower” to myself as the storm raged outside.

Not a bad night overall.

torta de papas, platanos maduras, y gallo pinto

14 thoughts on “Cena Romántica, 21 Septiembre 2016

1. Michael September 22, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Looks tasty. Would that item on the table be either a spice (salt or pepper) shaker or is it to snuff out the candle? How far from home were you when the lights went out?

I can’t help but think of The Book Theif when you say Mama. You being there with a new family, learning the daily rituals and making new friends. Unlike the German town, I’m sure you won’t be bombed.

2. Kay Sublett September 22, 2016 / 3:28 pm

Could you translate the Spanish words into English so those of us who don’t know Spanish can understand what you are saying. I can figure out some of it but not all. Just wondering if you could. I read the Book Theif but I want to re-read it. It’s a good book. Hugs.

• Jade September 22, 2016 / 4:16 pm

Prendí la luz sin problemas is “I turned on the light without problems.” Qué romántica is “how romantic!” Platanos are plantains! I’m so glad to hear from you. Hope all is well in Virginia!

• Kay Sublett September 23, 2016 / 4:11 pm

We are doing ok in VA. Fall started and it’s still up in the 80’s. It will cool off soon and then turn cold and I’m not crazy about the cold anymore. I sent you a card hope you got it by now. I mailed it over a week ago, I think. We are so glad to read your blog and keep up with you. All is well at the Sublett’s. Hugs and lots of love,

• Jade September 23, 2016 / 5:03 pm

I haven’t gotten your card yet but I’m sure I will soon! The staff keep track of the mail here and we only see them once a week or so, so hopefully I’ll get it next week!

3. Jackie September 22, 2016 / 6:42 pm

You are an excellent date. Since when do you not like queso!? Like is the problem a type of queso??

• Jade September 23, 2016 / 7:46 am

Nicaraguan cheese is different. It tastes really salty? And the texture is weird.

• Jackie September 27, 2016 / 10:00 pm

This is an acceptable reason then

4. Mom September 22, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Glad you are makes by the most of all circumstances and taking my life in stride! Love you sissy.

• Mom September 22, 2016 / 8:01 pm

Making

5. Nicole September 23, 2016 / 9:19 am

I am enjoying how you don’t like cheese. I don’t feel alone anymore. 🙂

• Jade September 23, 2016 / 5:00 pm

I like 90% of cheese. And I’ll usually eat Nica cheese if it’s put in front of me (or if it’s fried.) I just prefer not to! Give me a block of cheddar or pepper jack and I’m set!

6. Gramps September 25, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Good reading your blog, Jade. We have been busy with the Seekers in Branson over the weekend & are back in Springfield tonight. Leave for MN tomorrow. Enjoyed hearing about the Huffmanstrip to the Gallopagos Islands off the coast of Equidor. It’s right on the equator.

• Jade September 26, 2016 / 9:24 am

Ecuador is one of the places I would love to visit soon. I considered doing the Peace Corps there! Safe travels to Minnesota!