The Grand Peanut Butter Adventure

On Monday, we walked to a nearby town to buy peanut butter. My profe gets it from her abuela, who (I think) learned to make it many years ago from a person from the U.S. (another Peace Corps volunteer?)

When we were near the border between our towns, it started to rain. And then it started to pour. And then the streets became rivers. (I really wanted to take a picture, but I didn’t want to ruin my phone.) Anyway, we pressed onward, because…PEANUT BUTTER. (And also because we were walking up a hill and the road back home was so flooded that it was impassable. I’ve played enough Oregon Trail to know that I shouldn’t cross.

We actually had our rain jackets with us, but by the end of the walk, my jeans and backpack were soaked.

We stopped by our profe‘s house to dry off, and then we took her mom’s car the last block or two to her abuela‘s house.

She drove us home, and it rained all night. It was actually—dare I say it?—chilly. We were warned that September would be rainier than August, but rain like today is apparently excessive, even for the rainy season (also known as winter, which I think is hilarious.)

It’s funny, when my profe dropped me off she told me “¡bañe!”(a command 😮) but I don’t really understand how bathing after getting drenched by the rain would help prevent enfermedad.

Science folks, can you Google it in your nerd brains? Does showering after intense rain exposure do anything to prevent illness? Does showering in COLD water after make any sense at all?

Anyway, here’s my peanut butter! It was  C$70 (about $2.50) but worth it. I want to obtain some honey to mix it with.

6 thoughts on “The Grand Peanut Butter Adventure

1. Anna September 7, 2016 / 7:51 am

I can’t find ANYTHING on bathing after rain being actually a science thing. Only thing I found was that you’re not supposed to swim/surf after a heavy rain in Central America because the water will be polluted with urban run off and sewage (ew).

My first thought when I read that part was that it’s just a local belief/custom. Maybe rain is seen as dirty or something? Who knows.

Yay for PB though. ❤ Definitely worth it.

Liked by 2 people

• Jade September 7, 2016 / 7:55 am

There are a lot of interesting cultural beliefs here, so I thought it might be something like that. In the U.S, I feel like I’ve been told to shower after being caught in the rain, but that was a way to warm me up, not wash me off. Is there any good science behind getting warm after being cold and wet? I NEED TO UNDERSTAND ALL THINGS FROM ALL ANGLES.

2. Jasmine Johnson September 8, 2016 / 4:49 pm

Alaskan Peanut Butter costs 3x more than Nicaraguan Peanut Butter. #conspiracy

• Jade September 8, 2016 / 6:18 pm

I mean, I know a person. And nobody else here knows what it is.

3. Restabrook15 September 9, 2016 / 10:43 am

I’ve heard this a lot (mostly from my grandma), but have never seen any science to back it up. Maybe it has to do with exposure?
    that is some serious devotion to peanut butter to go on (basically) a quest for it.

• Restabrook15 September 9, 2016 / 10:44 am

*I’ve heard this about being cold/wet making you sick