Granada, Granada

Today we went to Granada for some charlas (and to play tourist for a little bit.) Our charlas were on resiliency and volunteer diversity.We were in the most picaresque location, right on the lake, sitting in the open air under a thatched-roof pavilion. Tonight, I told Adrian that a) resiliency and diversity were the only topics we could have sat through on such a gorgeous day in such a gorgeous spot, and b) I couldn’t have handled those topics anywhere other than where we were.

Things got heavy today, but it was a good day with a lot of self-reflection and reflection as a group. We talked about how our personal identities (including race, sexual orientation, religion, gender, etc) affect our experiences (both in Peace Corps and in general. I talked about how I hate it when people say “we’re all the same” and “I don’t see color” because, as well-meaning as those statements may be, they

• are completely false
  • minimize, ignore, or erase the diverse experiences and struggles that we face.

I, a biracial woman, face different challenges than Adrian, an African-American man, or a white lesbian woman. There may be some overlap between our experiences, but we are affected differently by various aspects of our identity. I recognize that—because I am light skinned and have some “white” features—my experiences as a black person will be different (both in Nicaragua and the U.S.) than of someone with darker skin.

Anyway, by the end of it, people had shared a lot of very personal things, and we were all thankful to be together in a safe space where we could speak openly.

From Day One in the Peace Corps, I’ve connected with these people and talked about a lot of tough subjects (in our free time, too, not just in organized talks.) As aspiring Peace Corps volunteers, I think a lot of us came here with similar beliefs and values, but obviously we are all different people. I’ve talked about sexual orientation, rape culture, race, politics, islamophobia, gender roles, feminism, etc. We didn’t necessarily start out (or end up) on the exact same page on every issue, but everyone has been very open and eager to grow and learn from each other.

Anyway, it was kind of a heavy day with a lot of tears (none from me, though. I don’t think I’ve cried since…April?) After lunch, we wandered Granada for a couple hours and climbed some narrow stairs to the top of a church (nowhere near as intense as sprinting to the top of Notre Dame. How many stairs was that, Jaz? 478?) We also went to a chocolate shop and sampled chocolate rum.

Here are some pictures from my day.

Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
views from the top of Iglesia de la Merced
views from the top of Iglesia de la Merced
Iglesia de Guadalupe

6 thoughts on “Granada, Granada

1. Michael September 4, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Wow, your day was quite envolved.

I see a mountain range and water on the horizon of you second photo. Is that area somewhat of a bay? I noticed also rain in the distance; did you get wet? It’s interesting, the contrast between what seems to be two photos churches. I like the old, save for the “new” white guy on the corner. He must be important or they wouldn’t have inserted or rebuilt him.

2. Jade September 4, 2016 / 2:36 pm

The yellow one (Cathedral of Granada) was destroyed in the 19th century and rebuilt in the 20th century. I think it was originally built in the late 1500s. The last picture is of a 17th century cathedral (no idea who the white dude is. I’ll have to check!)

Granada is really close to Lake Nicaragua. There wasn’t any rain while we were there!

3. Gramps September 4, 2016 / 3:01 pm

Sounds pretty deep to me. Sure looks like a pretty area. We leave tomorrow for Missouri/Minnesota/Nebraska. Have made a table to give to the NOMADS for fund raiser & also have Brad &Kathy’s bed packed. Keep the comments coming.

4. Anna September 5, 2016 / 10:57 am

I feel like I say the same two things in all of my comments: “I love you” and “you’re a badass.” Sorry. 😦 It’s literally what I’m thinking while I read every one of your posts. Granada sounds muy magnifica. I’m so so glad you’ve connected so well with your fellow PCers. They all sounds like wonderful people. Eeeeeee.

• Jade September 5, 2016 / 12:28 pm

I don’t think I could do this without the support of the other volunteers, trainees, and staff here. I don’t know what the Peace Corps in other countries is like, but Nicaragua is top shelf.

5. Nicole September 6, 2016 / 8:52 am

Your day does sound intense, and I’m so thankful that you have bonded so quickly together and can depend on one another so much. I love the pictures, but do a selfie in one every now and then. I like to see that you are okay. 🙂

(Side note: I drank blackberry wine and had popcorn the other night. It took a bit before I realized I was having a Pope moment.)