First class

Y’ALL. I just taught my first class with almost no preparation (because between Spanish homework, sleeping, and reading for various Peace Corps training, there’s hardly any time for lesson plans.

I was so nervous, and I’d barely done any planning with my co-teacher (the band was playing right outside the door the whole time, and the profe spoke 95% in Spanish.)

One of the Peace Corps Spanish language staff attended my class, and afterward she asked me if I had teaching experience, and she was shocked when I said I didn’t. I told her I was nervous, but she said she couldn’t tell.

I think all of my male students have crushes on me. At the end of class, they asked if I’m married, how old I am, if I have a boyfriend, and if I am on Facebook.

The girls were obsessed with my eyes (and hair, once I took it out of the bun.) They also gave me a paper fan and thank God because I was sweating through my shirt in front of that class.

It’s 9th grade, so their English is far from fluent, but they were a good and attentive class. I taught mostly in English but explained some sentences and concepts in Spanish. I’m so glad the first class is over with, because now I know roughly what to expect for the next few months. In November, I’ll be placed at my official site with new teachers, but for training I’m feeling decent (thank god, because last night I was feeling hella overwhelmed.)

Tonight, my training group is starting a community English class, so the day is far from over. I’ll keep you posted!

8 thoughts on “First class

1. Anna August 25, 2016 / 11:43 am

Holy crap I am so so so so proud of you. I would have been SO freaked out, but it sounds like you managed it like a boss (I’m not surprised cause you’ve always been a badass, especially when it comes to acting like you know what you’re doing.) Also not surprised that you’re a goddess to the boys, cause um, duh. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. xoxoxo

• Jade August 25, 2016 / 12:24 pm

BSing my way through life since 1991 😂 the struggle is real but damn I feel like a weight has been lifted now. If I can get through one class (drenched in sweat and speaking two languages) I can get through a thousand, right?

2. Jackie August 25, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Congrats!! I’m so proud of you!

3. Michael August 25, 2016 / 1:41 pm

Very good, Queen Jadea! It’s funny how ( when you’re nervous as all get-out) people believe you’re well prepared and you do something so natural it’s like putting on your shoes. 9th graders; yeah, all the boys won’t even consider missing class.

4. Kim August 25, 2016 / 5:44 pm

Great beginning Jade. Keep your positive attitude and anything is possible. Can’t wait to hear how thing continue to progress. Love you!

5. Nicole August 26, 2016 / 7:27 am

I think the best advice you ever gave me (without knowing it) is saying you approach everything with confidence and no one knows the difference. I’m proud of you!

(Also, did you know that Bonnie was the cancer patient who said “that’s quality bootie” to Izzie/Alex? I love how Shonda keeps people in the Shondaland family.)

• Jade August 27, 2016 / 10:26 am

That’s definitely my motto right now! It’s been crazy! And I did know that about Bonnie – I think she may be the only person who’s been on 3 shonda shows!

6. Michelle Conner August 26, 2016 / 7:06 pm