Dificultad: alta

This morning at 6:30, I went on a hike with Caley and her host family. I didn’t exactly know it would be a hike beforehand; I just knew we’d be walking to the laguna. All I knew was that our whole trip (getting there, swimming for a bit, and getting back home) would take about 3 hours.

Anyway, I was excited, because it’s my first full weekend here and I didn’t have any plans. When we got to the entrance point for the hike, we saw this sign, and we kind of chuckled because it said “Difficulty: high.”

Anyway, we started the hike and quickly realized that it was pretty steep, and I remember thinking “this trip back up may actually kill me.”

It probably took about 40 minutes to get down to the laguna. We swam for a while and the water was FANTASTIC. The temperature was perfect, and I probably could have stayed there all day.

As we were leaving, Caley’s host brother-in-law asked if we wanted to take the bus or climb back up. I suggested subir. (Sorry, Caley. It’s possible that I made the wrong choice.

The hike back up was brutal. I’d worn a long-sleeved, dri-fit shirt (mistake #1, but I’m trying to avoid showing much skin until I’ve integrated in the community a little more) that I had to take off within the first few minutes. So I hiked in my swimsuit and shorts.

It’s about 4 kilometers down and 4 back up. That doesn’t seem like much, but the incline was brutal. I couldn’t tell if my hair was drenched from swimming or from sudor (spoiler alert: SO MUCH SWEAT.) But thank God for sweat, because when the wind picked up, it felt like heaven.

When we got to the top, I felt like we’d accomplished a Herculean task. But then we had to walk even more to get to Caterina to get something to drink and find a mototaxi. My bottle of orange soda cost like $1.50, which is an absurdly high price, but we were in a tourist trap and I would have died without it, so I paid.

By noon, when I got back to the park, I’d walked over 7 miles and climbed the equivalent of 121 flights of stairs.

I’m exhausted and hungry (did I mention that I forgot to grab my water bottle on the way out of my house? I did this hike with only two small sips of Caley’s water to sustain me. How am I alive?)
All that said, I’m glad I did this, I’d recommend it to a friend, and I’d do it again (but with a tank top and some agua.) 5/5 stars.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

9 thoughts on “Dificultad: alta

1. Michael August 20, 2016 / 4:25 pm

Wow, Jade, that’s a nice view of the lake. Who is C Host? You had better eat well when you get back to the house or your Host Mom will probably be a little ticked. Were you asked to translate the sign?

• Jade August 20, 2016 / 4:27 pm

C is one of the other Peace Corps trainees in my town. I’m trying to avoid full names until I get a chance to ask their permission to talk about them. I wasn’t asked to translate, but everyone I was with speaks Spanish 😊 my host mom fed me well when I got back!

2. Anna August 20, 2016 / 4:56 pm

You are the most hardcore chica I’ve ever known. Talk about getting in shape. I’m jealous. I probably would have died. Ademas, la laguna es muy bonita. IS THAT PROPER ESPANOL? I’m trying here.

This is also very random, but Death Cab just came on my Spotify (it was “I will follow you into the dark” which made me think of my dad but I digress…) and it reminded me of when we listened to the entire DC discography on the way back from Truman State. I LOVE YOU AND YOU INSPIRE ME TO HIKE MOUNTAINS. xoxo

Liked by 2 people

• Jade August 20, 2016 / 5:24 pm

Love you love you love you ❤️❤️❤️

3. Kay Sublett August 21, 2016 / 4:09 pm

You are not a quitter that’s for sure. Love the picture. Can you answer personal questions about your host parents, like, does the host Father have a job. Do you have your own room? Keep up the good work Jade. Do you have an address we could send you a card or letter.
    Love ya.

4. Kim August 22, 2016 / 5:25 am

No water on a 7 mile hike would be awful. I don’t think I could hike one mile straight up, without some water relief. Are you wearing sunscreen. Glad you ate well. I’m enjoying the pictures. How old are the kids in your host family?

• Jade August 22, 2016 / 7:36 am

I wear sunscreen on the days when I know I’ll be outside for long periods of time (like when I went swimming!) I’ve been prioritizing bug spray over sunscreen but need to remember to wear both!

My host sisters are 15 and 19. One is in high school and one is at the university.

5. Restabrook15 August 24, 2016 / 7:54 am

Craziness! It looks like it was beautiful, though.
    Maybe the only way to do that the first time is to be surprised about the hike, lol.
    You’re a superhuman.

6. Michelle Conner August 26, 2016 / 7:15 pm

What a beautiful view…makes it all worth it!!